Rummage through the dump

Thursday, September 23, 2010

I Miss Phil Donahue

My experience this afternoon moderating the panel discussion at the prison between MCC staff and offenders made me realize how much I miss Phil Donahue.  His show, back in the day, was fantastic.  I remember much from his shows, particularly his series of dialogs with Vladimir Posner.  The Russians were real scary at the time and Phil managed to ameliorate my fear just a bit with those shows.  His shows alternated between controversial, funny, poignant, and topical and were usually more hit than miss.  It's kind of sad to see how the whole genre has devolved over the years.  Sadly, I don't think there's anything remotely like the old Donahue show anymore.  Our loss, really.  I can only imagine how much more informed we'd all be if he were still broadcasting in his old format.

No comments:

Post a Comment