Rummage through the dump

Monday, September 13, 2010

California Vacation Burger Reviews





In & Out


In & Out was one of the to-do's on the trip.  I've never been there and I've read quite a lot about the place.  I prepared by locating the "secret" menu and read some tips on what to try.  I was a little confused, though, as Sandi told me that, according to the menu, I/O served their burgers with "hand leaf" lettuce.  Through five years in the produce business I never encountered hand leaf lettuce.  "Ohhhhh--hand leafED lettuce."  I think we were just outside Sacramento when we stopped.  


The first cool thing was the nice girl near the order intercom in the drive-thru.  She took our order.  There was no yelling involved.  +1 for I/O.  We ordered a few cheeseburgers; two regular, one Animal Style.  The picture windows into the kitchen were a nice touch, also.  Clean, busy, and well-staffed it was.  I love it when restaurant management understands that having a lot of available labor almost ALWAYS means better service, a better environment, better food, and a better bottom line.  Boston Market got that. Staffing your Burger King with one sweaty guy in the kitchen, one harried girl in the drive-thru window, and one disinterested teen in the lobby makes dining hit-and-miss at best.  I/O gets it, too, +1.


Our wait was longer than I'd have expected at a fast food restaurant, but was totally understandable considering the queue of cars.  Peeps were served as quickly as possible.  +1 for I/O.


"Are you going to be dining in the car?"  I was a little taken aback by that question.  But a positive answer got me some placemats and a tray containing our food instead of the paper bag I've come to expect. The burgers weren't completely wrapped, either, half-exposed.  This place was totally upsetting the fast-food paradigm and I kind of liked it.  +1 for I/O.  


The fries were horrible.  We've been spoiled by Dick's Drive-In and these, despite their similar fresh-cut origin, were not in the same league.  Milkshakes reminded me of McDonald's old shakes.  You ever have a shake that's so smooth and airy that it tastes "warm?"  That's what came to mind at I/O.  


The burgers were good.  Not great, but good.  The mustard-fried patty was an interesting touch that I'll be trying at home one of these days, but the combination of that with the other added stuff didn't make the burger that much better than the regular.  It was better, though.   


I think I wanted more goo.  I'm not exactly sure what kind of goo; maybe cheese goo or mayo goo, or even bun goo.  The burger needed more goo, though, to counter the vegetables.  The caramelized onions and sauce just weren't cutting it.  Still, it was better than most fast food restaurants' burgers. 


Overall, I was a bit disappointed.  I'd half expected to lift the bun and stare into the eyes of god.  Okay, maybe my expectations were a touch on the high side.   I made a second stop at the I/O in Redding on the way back.  Give 'em points for consistency between locations.  Nothing was different at the second location.  I'm glad I visited.




Carl's Jr.


I've also never been to Carl's Jr.  I'm not going to ramble on about my experience there, as it was pretty much identical to my experience at every other fast food restaurant.   I will say, however, that my bacon cheeseburger there was much better than what I had at I/O.  Crazy, I know.  So was the second one I had on the way back home.  


Their cheese was a bit "off," though.  It was a very rich American that I don't think I've had in a very long time.  It reminded me of what American Cheese tasted like when I was a kid.  Still, given a choice to visit I/O or Carl's Jr. in the future, I'll be driving my car up to Carl's window.




Wendy's


Sandi wanted to stop at Wendy's in Eugene, Oregon, on the way home.  We don't go there very often. I think I can recall one prior trip to Wendy's in the last seven years.  I tried one of their new "Baconators." 


Yuck.  Good bacon, awesome bun, horrible meat, lukewarm, the same odd cheese as Carl's Jr., and no veggies to speak of.   I'm not anxious to return.  




Anyway, after it all, I'm more impressed with Dick's Drive-In.  


I can't say, anymore, that I don't know how they do it (because I DO know how they do it), but I do know that, while I will drive 40 miles just for a Dick's Deluxe, I wouldn't do the same for a Cheeseburger Animal Style.  It just wasn't compelling enough.  Judging from the number of Carl's Jr. restaurants in CA, I don't think I'd ever have to drive that far to get one of their more superior burgers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment